The Wisdom of Surfers


Jack Johnson once asked, “Where’d all the good people go?”

Several times on this blog, I’ve tried to work through my thoughts on what angle I want to take on social justice. [
What is Social Justice?, From the one who has been entrusted with much] I’ve been involved from several different angles ranging from global poverty awareness, biomedical research, homelessness, to drug addiction. Seeing this range of problems, and combining that with the introspection that goes into this blog has really focused my eyes on an overarching question.

“Where’d all the good people go?”

I think the world lacks virtuous human beings, those that my friend Mooks and I would refer to as beasts at life.

Sidenote: Mooks and I once did a beasts at life fantasy draft over email, which was mostly to discuss people we knew, and the qualities that made them good at life. We did this to emphasize to ourselves, that there were traditional metrics used to measure human beings like physical appearance, income, popularity, number of cars, hotness of trophy wife, etc., and then there was a separate set of qualities we thought made you a beast at life.


Reading this book reminded me of something I said to myself last summer. I had just wrapped up my undergrad and I was planning on taking two years off before heading back to med school. I thought about why I wanted to take those two years off, and I reached the conclusion: I am at an academic level necessary to be the doctor I want to be, but I hadn’t attained the level of human being, aka beast of life status, that I needed.


Sidenote: you might think it’s cocky to try to be a “beast at life,” and you are probably right.


Anyways, I recently heard of Ben Franklin’s quest to attain moral perfection, which he started as a twenty year old. He took a systematic approach by listing out thirteen essential virtues and the days of the week. Each day he failed at one of the virtues he would put an x next to that box, with the goal of attaining as few x’s as possible.


The combination of the Jack Johnson’s song, Mooks’ idea of “beast at life”, and Ben Franklin’s systematic approach to attaining moral perfection, has motivated me to make a similar list of virtues. But instead of having the goal of attaining moral perfection, I would like to attain, being a beast at life. Mostly because I think it sounds better.


Anyways, based on qualities Mooks and I loved in others, here’s my list


Humility – Prioritize others, swallow pride.

Moderation – Some is good, more is not better.

Independence – A Ken can only be a good Ken.

Sacrifice – I want to sacrifice, but without placing this sort of burden on others: “FINE! I’ll do this for you, but you owe me a BIG one.”

Working Hard – When I die, I want my friends and enemies to say two things about me. 1- Yeah, he was a good guy, he helped me once. 2- Yeah, I don’t know if he was a good guy, but he sure worked hard. In fact, I might just want to hear the second one.

Gratitude – Keep on the sunny side.

Control – Have emotions, don’t let them have you.

Humility, again – Accept my limits.


To bring this back to social justice, the word radical and the word radish come from the same latin word meaning root. And so, a radical, like a radish, must always be concerned with its roots. I think the root cause of the global AIDS epidemic, homelessness, drug addiction, and maybe all social justice issues is that there are not enough good people in the world.
I think we as humans need to be stronger.

I want to know what makes a beast at life, a beast, and more importantly, I want to know what prevents people from becoming a beast at life.


Arthur Lydiard, a legendary running coach who revolutionized distance running, was famous for having initially experimented his radical training methods on himself, an average runner. So, I figured it would be appropriate for me to experiment different aspects and angles on being a beast at life on myself, an average human being.


I have no deceptions about this, and I don’t expect to ever attain moral perfection, or maybe even reach a level of human being that I can accept as beast at life, but, I think I will have a lot of fun trying.


Worst case scenario, to turn back to the words of Jack Johnson:

“I want to turn the whole thing upside down, and I’ll share this love I find with everyone.”

from ken


Are you thinking about something? Write about it and post it here! Email me! ken.e.noguchi@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, lots to say, but I'll save it for when we chat.

    I've been struggling with this for a few months now, especially with my job search and thinking about the direction I want my life to take. To be honest, I'm unsure what I want my occupation to be, but I know I want to be a Beast at Life - and nobody seems to understand that. They always ask, what do you want to do? And I say, I don't know, but I know I want to do it really, really well...

    I like the qualities you've listed, and I love the question, "What do you want people to say about you when you die?"

    Definitely that he worked hard, definitely that he cared about other people more than himself, definitely that he was great at what he did.

    Here's my question: Benjamin Franklin had a list of virtues and each day he could check on how he was doing - what should I be doing each day? And how can I know, each day, whether I'm working towards my goal or not?

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough question. I feel like the critical components is to define what a Beast at Life is. I think that's what I wanted to start doing here, systematically break down qualities inherent to Beasts at Life.

    Sidenote: I'm reading Bill Simmons' The Book of Basketball right now, absolutely incredible book by the way, and it talks about the secret to basketball, which is that it's not about basketball. It's about getting together an unselfish group of players that are willing to place winning above ego's, stats, and big contracts, a la the current Spurs. I'm not exactly sure how that relates, but it feels like it does..

    And let's definitely chat soon.

    from ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just something else that came to my mind, I feel like the concept of beasts at life laid out here points out that being a beast at life is about more intangible personality traits, rather than tangible things like the type of job. It's kind of like the quote, "I'm not worried about what I'm going to do, I'm more worried about who I'm going to become." So maybe it's not that important what you do, as long as it's something you can do?

    from ken

    ReplyDelete