What is greatness? A KXC tribute


“Running to him was real. The way he did it, the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond. It made him weary beyond comprehension, but it also made him free.”

- John L. Parker, Once A Runner
So I’ve been thinking about this post for a while, but never really solidified what to write.

I recently finished Bill Simmons’ The Book of Basketball. Simmons is an ESPN columnist called the Sports Guy, a Boston-bred sports fanatic that religiously breaks down sports and pop culture. I think he is the funniest person alive.


I loved the book, and definitely suggest it to any sports fan. I think it’s a must-read for any basketball fan since he takes being a basketball fan to a whole new level. He breaks down the best teams and the best players of all-time, including a 96 player pyramid ranking.


The most important thing the book made me think of was something I think about all the time. The topic of greatness. In his 96 player ranking, Simmons analyzes exactly what made a player great. He highlights players that introduced dunking, players who revolutionized the point guard position, players that had unstoppable shots, and so on.


Of all 96 players that Simmons breaks down, the player that stood out to me the most was No. 72, Chris Webber.


Webber entered the league labeled as a sure-fire hall of famer, and he lived up to it.

Kind of.

He was a great player, but he was only ever good enough to finish at 72. He was hurt a lot, which isn’t entirely his fault. He never won any titles, so he’s accused of not always showing up when it counted, but that can be attributed to the quality of his teammates. He had the potential to be better, but it isn’t really his fault that scouts overrated him. All that said, here’s Simmons’ conclusion:
“So yeah, Webber finished no. 72. But he still goes to sleep every night knowing he could have been forty or fifty spots higher. And if he doesn’t think about it, then that explains everything.”

This made me think about my own experience in sports. I ran cross country and track for seven years of my life, and I can think of one or two runners that I would say were truly great athletes. I’m thinking of one teammate in particular, my former roommate Jim Boston.


Those of you reading this that had the good fortune of running with Jim are probably nodding along in agreement.


First off, Jim was consistently the fastest runner on our team, so he had the talent. But there was more. Jim was the sort of the runner that Simmons would rave about. The kind that obsesses over greatness. The kind that loses sleep because he knows he could run just a little bit faster. The kind that makes unreasonable sacrifices for greatness.

He was the kind of runner that John L. Parker writes about in the epic novel Once A Runner. I saw Jim as the kind of person that found life and meaning in the suffering involved in the quest for greatness. That’s what I always admired about Jim.


Of all the lessons of greatness I could graft from sports, I think this is my favorite. To be great, maybe you have to be obsessed. You have to care, not just more than everyone else, but more than other people can imagine. You have to be the kind of person, that years later, we still remember how they cared a little too much. You have to have such a life, that it might be filled with exhaustion and struggles, but you couldn't imagine living any other life.


I believe that in a world filled with Chris Webbers and Jim Bostons, I'm in the foxhole with Jim Boston every time.


from ken


Are you thinking about something? Write about it and post it here! Email me! ken.e.noguchi@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. please note that rob is flexing in the background of that picture. typical.

    but in all seriousness, this was a good post. but there were others who cared a lot too; the guy in the picture, for example. i think to a certain extent there was a difference between those two guys in that for one of them there was the expectation of doing well. i think that's an important point: you have to know what you want to get out of your obsession. furthermore you have to have go after it and have the expectation of achieving that goal instead of obsessing and wondering why your goal doesn't just materialize as you run countless miles through the dark.

    -Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, what you mentioned is one of the reasons I chose the picture that I did.

    Greatness is a confusing topic. I had several teammates that I would say "understood the secret to running or greatness," but I think at the level of competition we were at, only a few of my teammates both understood the secret AND succeeded at running in the sense that they ran fast.

    Of course, it gets more complicated as you open up the definition of success. Do you succeed only if you run fast? Of course not, I guess I just used that example because putting up good statistics and winning championships was how Simmons ranked the basketball players.

    To go back to your point, I think you are right that you have to know what you want from your obsession.

    from ken

    ReplyDelete