Pre-wedding running diary



In Bill Simmons-style, a running diary of Ken’s pre-wedding adventures, up through the ceremony.

9/13 Tuesday


4:15 PM: Ken leaves work until next Tuesday, forgets about HEK293 cells and mTfR2-venus chimeras for 160 hours.


5:00 PM: Ken thinks about everything he still has to do before the wedding, panics.


5:02 PM: Ken realizes it’s like four things, sits on the couch and reads a book.


7:43 PM: Ken and mom reunite. We drove in circles for about an hour trying to find Sellwood. Partly because Sellwood is hard to find, but I swear, if we could have taken the Springwater bike trail we could have easily gotten to Sellwood.


9/14 Wednesday


11 AM: My mom’s mom arrives in town, she came all the way from Japan! She is your traditional cute little old Japanese woman, the way cookie cutter grandmothers should be.


12:30 PM: After lunch, my mom, grandmother, and I are driving around downtown, and out of no where I saw one of my best friend’s from college Anna Griffin! I knew she was in town, but we hadn’t seen each other yet, and we had an awesome impromptu run in.


5 PM: Katie and her mom are moving Katie into our apartment. Ken walks into the apt. This conversation happens:


Katie: Hey, we’re reorganizing!


Ken: Oh, hey the couch didn’t used to be there. Huh, the plates didn’t used to be there. What? Yeah, of course I love the new location for the toilet paper.


Katie’s mom: Ken here’s some advice Katie’s dad would have given you. Just say, “yes dear.”


Marriage begins.


6 PM: Celebration of Ken’s first day of wedding vacation at Hop Haven.


My favorite part was that my friend Barry came. Barry and I ran Hood to Coast, and we are also on the finance team at our church, so we’ve bonded over the past year or so. Barry’s also a grandfather, but I keep telling him he’s way younger than he thinks.


About a year ago I decided that I was too mature to judge maturity based on numerical age. Mostly this was out of defensiveness for this statistic:


Age at marriage for those who divorce in America:

<20 – 12%
20-24 – 39%
25-29 – 22%
30-34 – 12%
35-39 – 7%

I’m 22. I swear I’m a mature 22.

9/15 Thursday

3 AM: Ken wakes up. Officially starting to get nervous and having anxiety.

3:30 AM – 9 AM: Ken goes in and out through sleeping and waking.

10:15 AM: Ken, Katie, and our moms all go out for breakfast. I’m glad they all get along. We eat greasy American breakfast, I don’t think my mom likes it, but she’s polite.

Rest of the day, a nervous blur. Somewhere there was coffee and beer involved.

9/16 Friday

2:30 PM: Keyser and Ken are getting lunch downtown, with plenty of time to get to the rehearsal at 3:00 PM.

3:00 PM: Ken is lost. Close to Tigard, a suburb of Portland. Keyser and I have this conversation:

Keyser: Aren’t you stressed out about this?

Ken: Hmm, I’m not sure if I need to be, I should check with Katie.

3:30 PM: Ken finally arrives at the rehearsal. The minister is also late, so it blows over. I’m telling you, it’s even hard to find Sellwood with God on your side.

5:00 PM: Everyone arrives at Ken’s mom’s rental house for a Japanese rehearsal dinner. Lots of photo’s are taken.

8:00 PM: Ken and friends arrive at 24 hour fitness, pay $20 to work out. Ken plays in his token one basketball game of the year. He took a few shots, and one went in. It was awesome.

My friends Keyser and Heath have the following conversation about five times the rest of the night:

Heath: We could’ve pick and rolled all night.

Keyser: Yeeah, we were all about the pick and roll!

I’m still not exactly sure what a pick or roll is. Oh and this one:

Keyser: Hey, who do you think is taller, you or me.

Heath: Dude we’ve compared like three times already. You’re taller.

2:30 AM: Ken and Needham friends, who’ve known each other of upwards of ten years now, have a slumber party on Ken’s floor. This might be the last night Ken ever gets to sleep on a floor. For some reason, this is a luxury.

9/17 Saturday

12:20 PM: Ken has his first nervous breakdown. Probably the first of many. Ken doesn’t like posed photographs. Sidenote – I’m pretty sure I have some sort of social anxiety disorder.

3:00 PM: Ceremony starts with only a little bit of rain.

3:01 PM: Ken sees Katie and the bridesmaids doing a group prayer, so Ken tries to top them by doing a groomsmen huddle snap bomb. It’s complicated, but you take a snap in your hand, throw it in the air, and snap when you catch it at the bottom. It’s complicated.

3:30 PM: Ken walks down the aisle with best man, Mooks, tries to hold his hand, doesn’t work.

3:35 PM: Mooks tells Elm Bank story, epic. I almost cried.

3:45PM: Ceremony ends, Ken is a little bit relieved.

I wish I was as funny as Bill Simmons.

from ken


Feel free to comment! I would love to hear your thoughts.

5 comments:

  1. Ken, this was hilarious, especially the part about you not getting to sleep on floors. Those were good times for you. So glad I got to see you - Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read your blog, cracked me up. Congratulations to you and Katie....Lawrence

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! I'm glad you guys liked it.

    from ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahahahahahah "hmmm not sure if i need to be, i should check with Katie." Loved it. So glad you guys are married!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked that advice from Katie's Dad. Hope you're following it. He's watching you! :)

    Hugs,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete