Newton/Noguchi tackle theology: Why do bad things happen? pt 1


Heath Newton loves Texas, basketball, and winning.  He also loves people and relationships.  We met at the Agape Church of Christ in Portland, OR, watched basketball, and analyzed life’s big questions along the way. 
Wouldn't have survived Portland without him

So here’s one big question I posed to Heath:

Ken: Why do bad things happen?

Heath: So here's my short on why bad things happen. Because they must. If we understand ourselves as free agents or people with free will, there must exist the possibility of bad things happening to good people or we do not have free will. 

However, I'm not completely sure if I believe we have freewill. And that's another conversation, but its a huge part of the equation. 

I also think we learn the most and connect closely with others through pain and suffering. I feel like most people would not reject the hard time because those times have made them who they are.

My final point for now would be ... well I forgot because I got sidetracked ... but this might have been it. I grew up in a sheltered and loving home so I typically wear rose tinted glasses, at least more than the average person it would seem. So that is an important piece of my context and lens. What do you think Ken?

on top of a rock,
probably thinking about life
K: Bad things must happen.  I love that, it's simple but it gets to the point.  

You once asked me the biggest problem the world faced, and I think there are lots.  But one is that we have a misconception of what life is supposed to be.  Maybe things aren't bad, they're just things.  

These bad things provide an opportunity for bonding.  I feel like this week - test week at school - has been super stressful but at the same time a real point of bonding for me where I've been able to start developing relationships.  

H: I certainly agree with your idea that bad things usually provide unique and special opportunity for growth. There are a lot of examples in nature where this is the case ... forests must burn down as a natural part of the cycle of things comes to mind.

Also my Africa experience left me with a couple top lasting messages as far as me evaluating what I provided and what were the most important things I did. They were:

1.     Be there - Woody Allen said that some high percentage of life is all about showing up
2.     Speak their language - beyond anything we said, the fact that we were saying it in their native tongue was probably more important
3.     Suffer together - to your point

K: Before we transition into Africa I’ll cut it off and send it to a part 2 next week.

See you on the other side,

from heath and ken

Thoughts on why bad things happen?  Please comment.

2 comments:

  1. I certainly do love winning.

    However, I think I love the art of trash talking even more. Of course, not more than I love Ken Noguchi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I forgot your love of trash talking.

    PS - watch out for fantasy basketball this year.

    ReplyDelete