ken asks the audience: What are you doing this summer?



Last week's question was: What are you doing this summer? I asked classmate Paras Patel for his answer, and he'll be continuing to write for sidenote through the summer about his experiences:

--

I don't know if I have the most interesting summer lined up or not but I am very excited for the good times ahead. This summer I am going to Argentina and India. Two opposite ends of the earth for two very different reasons. In Argentina I am living in a town called Cobalanga. Surprisingly, it is not on Google maps. I’m living with two doctors and their three little boys. I’ll be working in the hospital doing weekly rotations in areas like family medicine, surgery, pediatrics and hopefully some specialties. In the afternoon I’ll volunteer at my host family’s private practice. My goal is to learn as much as I can about their healthcare system and have an opportunity to become fluent in medical Spanish so I can get certified once I’m back in the states. 

After six weeks, I’m meeting up with two friends and we will travel to Buenos Aires, Uruguay and go skiing in the Andes. Two days after I get back to the US, I’m leaving for the motherland. This will be the first time in 10 years. I am excited to see how much has changed and partake in my cousin’s wedding festivities. 

I think this summer will be an opportunity for me to get away from everything and just reflect over these past 23 years before all hell breaks loose. I’ve come a long way and I really want to just think about where I’m going. Ken always refers to “deep conversations” and how often our conversations are superficial. I agree. It’s been a while since the last time I had a deep conversation with myself…

--


Next week's question: Was med school what you thought it would be like?

see you on the other side,

from ken

Want to provide the commentary? Let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment