Disconnecting from technology


I recently read a timely New York Times column about how technology deprives our brains of well-deserved rest.

The article explained that people are obsessing over new technology, taking multi-tasking to a whole new level by reading an e-book while watching the news and ellipticalling. It sure sounds efficient, but the article argues that without some down time, our brain doesn’t have the time to consolidate the information and learn from it, so our brain just gets overwhelmed.

It seems like it makes sense. From a physiological standpoint, new synapses take time to grow and if our neurons are overstimulated, they won’t have time to grow. I think it makes even more sense from an anecdotal standpoint, whenever I multi-task and try to listen to a book-on-tape while I workout I never really remember it.

So to avoid being overly busy, I’m trying to simplify my life and disconnect from technology a little bit. I'm hoping this will help me to focus on whatever environment I happen to be in, and whatever I am doing now. I decided not to buy a TV or get internet at my apartment, because I figured those would be easy distractions to cut out. I try to avoid having my phone on my person to evade the easy habit of flipping open my phone every few minutes to check for new text messages.

Of course, if you have a reason to always be connected, or just want to be, that can totally work too. But for me, I wanted to make myself more able to connect with my current environment. This isn’t without flaws, of course, as I often miss phone calls and occasionally I will have to go out of my way to send a quick email, but it’s what I chose.

I still go to the coffee shop to use their internet, and I still always keep my phone in my backpack, which is almost always around me. But without that easy convenience of just reaching into my pocket to have texting power at my fingertips, or being able to quickly flip open my laptop to see that I, for the fifth time this hour, have no new emails, it makes it easier for me to focus on other things I want to spend my time on, like reading, talking to the people around me, or just taking some quiet time for myself.

from ken

Are you trying to change your life? I'd love to hear about it! ken.e.noguchi@gmail.com

photo by Esther Gibbons

No comments:

Post a Comment