that's so right

As I committed to changing myself, I noticed a crucial hurdle. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to change! Should I change everything? Just the little things? One big thing?

I think it helps to look at the big negatives and especially the small positives.

Inevitably, there are parts of life that continuously bring about unsatisfied or unhappy feelings. The key here is that it happens all the time. There are always going to be times when anybody hates any job, or any girlfriend, or any hobby, but you shouldn’t hate it ALL the time.

Time is probably the ultimate limiting factor in changing your life. Making serious change is a big commitment and could take a lot of your time. Getting rid of baggage that you hate is always a good start to free up some space.

That said, a lack of bad isn’t necessarily going to make your life good, so I think you need to look at the corollary and notice that quick flash of interest that comes up every now and then. Especially those that seem to keep coming up. It could just be a coincidence, but maybe it’s not. Maybe you’re hyper sensitive to it because you have an undiscovered passion for it!

Think of the last time you saw someone doing something cool, and thought, “Wow, that’s so right.” I think there are things everybody innately believes is SO right, and maybe those things are your passions!

This definitely occurred to me with the idea of music. I played piano when I was little, but other than that I was pretty much musically illiterate. Then, I started to notice a capella singers, street musicians, and friends who just looked so passionate when making and performing music. I kept thinking, “That’s so right.” Then I realized, maybe I need to take a cue from these guys and play music too!

That’s why I love the concept of sidenotes. In my mind, a sidenote is that random intriguing flash that pops up every once in a while and makes you think, hey that looks kind of cool. But then you immediately dismiss it by making up excuses like, oh but that’s not for someone like me, maybe if I had the money, maybe if I wasn’t so busy with all this other stuff I have to do, and the list goes on. So often, I make those exact excuses, but when I really think about it, I do have some money stored up, I could make time for it if I really wanted to, and anybody can pick up a new hobby if they want. If I really think “that’s so right,” maybe there's something to it..

from ken

Are you trying to change your life? I'd love to hear about it! ken.e.noguchi@gmail.com


photo by controltheweb

No comments:

Post a Comment