family blend


figure 1
Just left Japan, I'm about 6 miles above the Pacific Ocean right now. 

The last time I was in Japan, it was the summer before college.  This time, the summer before med school.  So the next time.. vacation before residency?

A lot has changed since that last time I was in Japan - I survived college and turned into a passable adult.  Some combination of running, making friends, and studying did the trick.  Sidenote - I think endlessly repeating this three step cycle is what turned me into a passable adult (figure 1).

Anyways, being in Japan for the first time as an adult, it's made me realize how much I'm like my family.

--

The most obvious place to start.

My dad, who hasn't been a huge part of my life since my parents got divorced about fifteen years ago, is an MD/PhD that loves science.  He's a physician that studies and teaches Molecular Biology (my major at Kenyon), and he loves thinking about how to do good science.

--

Jobs of family on my dad's side:

doctor, nurse, nurse, nurse, doctor, vet, vet, vet

Medicine is in my blood.

--

I read a little bit of my (mom's side) grandfather's memoir, which he wrote partly because he was bored in retirement, and partly to leave advice to his children and grandchildren.

My Japanese is degrading every day.. but his memoir reminded me of sidenote. He thought incredibly seriously about life, and believed it was about people and relationships. 

He loved the poem "youth" by Samuel Ullman

Tokyo, in the midst of the busiest intersection in the world
"youth is not a time of life
it is a state of mind
..
it is a matter of the will
a quality of the imagination
..
youth means adventure over ease
..
years may wrinkle the skin
but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.."

I would have loved to have been friends with my grandfather, had beers, and talked life with him.

speaking of which..

--

My cousin Satoshi and I were born six days apart.  Since we're so close in age, we were paired up whenever I came to Japan.  I hadn't seen him in about six years, but after sitting down for coffee..  I saw a the influence of grandfather Mouri in both of us. 

satoshi and ken
He's shy, but he thinks relationships are the most important thing in the world.  At the same time, he doesn't have Facebook because being so connected to the world is too exhausting.   

He majored in philosophy because he wanted to be friends with the kind of people who stroke their chin hairs and ask, "Why?"

He wants to have a 9 to 5 job so he can spend the rest of his time reading, thinking, and writing his memoir.

--

The moral.. you can't escape your family, even if you jump continents and go to Ohio/Portland/Charleston.

From my dad's side - medicine.  And my mom's side - philosophizing. 

I was born to be a physician-writer.

See you on the other side,

from ken

2 comments:

  1. Is anyone else having problems with the comment box?

    from ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. In fact, your great great grandfather on my mom's side was a doctor and even before him there was a doctor for a "govenor" in Edo period ih her family, my mom's uncle was a doctor. So it's no surprise that you would be a doctor. :)

    ReplyDelete