MUSC Orientation Running Diary

Ever wondered what med school orientation is like?  Here's your chance to find out.  

Enter Bill Simmons style med school orientation running diary.  This is the second installation of sidenote running diaries. 


--

Aug 15th WED

dr dre uses these actual headphones,
immediately the coolest thing I own
7:30 AM -  Brand new headphones, pens, and notebooks in hand.  Ready.  The upside - orientation starts with a free breakfast, the downside - it's crappy coffee and stale bagels.  

7:35 AM - Walking through a hallway crammed with med students. Everyone brought their friend cliques from Clemson or token local Charleston high school.  I wish Keyser and Jon Weil were here.  

9:00 AM - Orientation starts with an inspirational video about MUSC.  Over/under on number of inspired students: 1.   

10:30 AM - The boss, Dean of Medicine Dr. Etta Pisano gives a speech.

10:38 AM - Dr. Pisano throws in a clip from Scrubs. This is great.  Scrubs is the #1 influence in my life guiding me to medicine.  

10:44 AM - Scrubs clip #2.  I was born to be a doctor.  

11:05 AM - Scrubs clip #3.  Second guessing my decision not to write my personal statement about Scrubs.  

like a duck
2:15 PM - Waiting in line to get fitted for some sort of mask...  I think it's to pretend to be a duck so we can entertain sick kids. Patch Adams?  

3:00 PM - Considering going back to the lab.

--

Aug 16th THU

8:00 AM - Scheduled departure for MUSC.

8:01 AM - Wait, why aren't we leaving?  We have a flat tire?  Oh, great...

8:40 AM - Sitting on bus.

9:30 AM - Sneak into giant lecture hall to listen to more bureaucracy.  Something about student affairs.  Maybe that flat wasn't that bad.

3:25 PM - Ken and Katie arrive at airport after Katie spends 6 hours sitting and waiting for car tires to be repaired.  Maybe the flat was that bad.  

3:30 PM - Mom arrival for vacation/white coat ceremony.

6:00 PM - Crappy orientation meals end, expensive dinners start. 

--

Aug 17th FRI

pretty sure this place isn't on groupon
9:50 AM - Pick up syllabus.  500 pgs of power point slides.  Test in 4 weeks.  Over/under on score a current doctor would get on this first exam: 50%.  

12:00 PM - Picnic lunch in gymnasium.  Walking around making awkward side glances at all the tables.  

Should I sit there?  

Are they too cool for me to sit with?  

Oh hey!  

Someone I know!  

Saved!

1:15 PM: Strongly considering going back to the lab.

--

Aug 19th SUN

12:00 PM - White coat ceremony

3 out of 4 of the 2012 MD/PhD family
Sidenote - Debated wearing the smily face tie, ultimately opted for my grandfather's tie.  It's funnier if people think I'm serious first, then learn my weird sense of humor.  

Anyways, I'm officially a doctor.  No, wait.. in 6 to 10 years, I will officially be a doctor.  Then I'll be a resident for 3 years.  And then I'll be a fellow for 2 to 5 years.

THEN I'll officially be a doctor.  So that's...  adding in head... 11 to 18 years...  

Glad we did this whole white coat thing.  

--

Aug 20th MON

8:00 AM -  Orientation finally ends.  Classes start.  Wake me in 11 to 18 years. 

See you on the other side,

from ken

2 comments: