about this blog



Over the past month or two, I've been slowly working on updating the "about" page. It's something of a vision statement for my blog, but also my life at large. Here's a temporary final draft: 

about this blog 

"You write in order to change the world... The world changes according to the way people see it, and if you alter, even by a millimeter, the way people look at reality, then you can change it." 
                - James Baldwin
Sidenote is a concept originally invented in an epic summer email chain by Iyer, A* and Noguchi, K*, 2008 (*both authors contributed equally to this work). We all have a set plan for our life, but every once in a while something peaks our interest. Maybe it was an intriguing new relationship, maybe it was a forgotten hobby, maybe it was just a daydream. Most of the time, we never pursue these sidenotes because we have to keep to our set track. Which is fine. But what would the world look like if we had the courage to take sidenotes seriously? 

That is the sort of world Sidenote envisions. It might be a better world, it might be a less productive world, but one thing is certain, it would be different. And at it’s core that is all Sidenote envisions. An alternative to the current reality. 

I have come to believe that an alternative to the current reality is necessary from my intense introspection. By studying myself, I have come to see that I am the most important person in the world, and that other people are a mere afterthought. 

That said, I have a vision for the world. I am convinced that life is about other people, and that every day should be made up of small or large sacrifices for other people. I'm not sure how the world can be turned into a less selfish place, but I figured I would experiment on myself and figure out how to live an other-people-centric life. You could say I am striving for proof-of-principle. 

If I figure anything else out, I'll let you know, but in the meantime, I would encourage you to think about sidenotes, or to daydream, or to run a 100 mile week. 

See you on the other side. 

from ken  

Feel free to comment! I would love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment