Elm Bank



“There are two ways of exerting strength: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up.” 

     - Booker T. Washington 

-- 

I’ve been thinking a lot about what to write this week, and I can’t think of anything good, so instead I’m going to share a story my friend Amulya wrote about me. 

-- 

It was the fall of 2005, our senior year of high school, and our cross-country team had one of its final meets of the season at Elm Bank Reservation. Ken was one of the faster runners on the team, and I was one of the slowest, but on this fateful day that was going to change. 

During warm-ups, for whatever reason, Ken approached me and he told me - he didn’t ask - but told me that he was going to run with me, and more specifically let me draft off him for the entire race – breaking the wind for me and allowing me to run faster. 

At first I thought Ken was kidding, actually. Why would he slow down and sacrifice his race just so I could shave a few meaningless seconds off of mine? In the answer to that question, as many of you know, lies the essence of Ken. 

As the race began, I started off in my usual position at the back of the pack. But with Ken leading the way I felt myself getting stronger, mentally and physically, with every stride. Together, we continued passing runner after runner until the finish line, and when it was all over I had surpassed my personal best by more than two minutes. As euphoric as I was in that moment, nobody there was happier than Ken. 

Never before, and not since, have I felt that same exhilaration of exceeding all of my own expectations. My best friend helped me realize something I never thought was possible and more importantly, reminded me of the incredible power of relationships. 

-- 

I loved where Amulya wrote, “Why would he slow down and sacrifice his race just so I could shave a few meaningless seconds off of mine? In the answer to that question, as many of you know, lies the essence of Ken.” Sidenote is really just an attempt to understand the essence of Ken, so I figured this would be a good story to overanalyze. 

I had thought about pacing Amulya through a race all season, but I wasn’t sure if it would just be embarrassing for him or if it would even help at all.  But I remember something about that day feeling right, and about a mile into the race I realized how epic this day would be. 

We were going around a sharp turn in the woods, and he told me to pick it up. I remember at that moment having one thought going through my head, “That’s what I’m talking about.” From there we picked off runner after runner, all guys that Amulya never races with, and he was flowing past them effortlessly. 

There was this indescribable energy flowing between us with every step we took. An energy greater than either of us could experience individually.

Sidenote - I’ve been sitting at this coffee shop for a couple hours trying to articulate exactly what this energy, flow, or spirit is, but I can’t explain it. I know that it’s the sort of energy that makes life worth living, and that it’s the sort of energy that can only come through supporting the dreams and lives of others. I know that it’s that energy that makes me believe life is about relationships. Maybe you can describe or articulate this energy for me? If so, please comment! For now, I’ll have to think about it more. 

See you on the other side. 

from ken

2 comments:

  1. I really think you hit the nail on the head. It was a feeling that neither of us could have experienced individually and was greater than the sum of our parts. Like we both said, its stories like these that remind us that life is about relationships and helping other people be happy -sharing the energy you have with others to achieve a transcendent type of happiness. I was watching this cheesy movie yesterday, but it had a great line. In the movie this guy and this girl are in love and have been together for 7 years she wants to get married but he doesn't believe in marriage. A lot of stuff happens and he realizes it will make her really happy if they get married, and the way he describes it when he proposes is by saying, "I want to make you happy. I need to make you happy. For me to even have a shot at happiness, I need to do everything to make you happy." I thought that was appropriate and related. For me to even have a shot at happiness, I need to make the people around me happy.

    Also, Elm Bank really was a special day and I was so honored to be able to share it with your friends and family on another really special day for us. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sharing the energy you have with others to achieve a transcendent type of happiness"
    love that.
    from ken

    ReplyDelete