The Study of Early Christians





About a year ago, I hosted a bible study at my old home, and I figured this fall I would host another one. Here's the blurb for it: 

One of the common conversations I’ve had with other Christians is about doubting the state of the church. These words really stuck with me: I still put my faith in Jesus, but I don’t know if the church is the right place for me. Maybe you’ve had these conversations too. 

I wanted to have a home community that would provide a safe place to discuss these doubts. I imagined a place with a loving husband and wife, a potluck dinner, and supportive friends. And specifically, I wanted to study the book of Acts. 

From what I just learned on Wikipedia, Acts is about the first Christians, and what they did after Jesus. They were followers of Jesus before Christianity existed. They didn’t have anyone else telling them what it was like to be a Christian. They had to learn from Jesus himself, and figure out how to be a Christian without Donald Miller or Sunday morning sermons. 

So this is the question I wanted to raise: If you could imagine being in their shoes, with Jesus as the only model, how would you be a Christian? 

from katie and ken  

Feel free to comment! I would love to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. I would ask God to fill me with his Spirit as described in Acts chapter 2 (or most of the book of Acts for that matter). Good luck with your study! I think that Acts may be the most fun book in the entire Bible. -Jonathan Fettig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonathan, Acts definitely is a thought-provoking book.

    ReplyDelete