About That Life pilot episode: How do people die?

About That Life (I don't know what that means, but I think it sounds cool)

By fan request - I'm starting a series of recurring posts chronicling the everyday life of a med student. Any suggestions are appreciated. I have absolutely no idea what this series will look like, but on sidenote we give the people what they want, so here it is, the inaugural "About That Life." 

--

I was sitting in the library staring at this: 



At this point I realized it was time for a break. Heading out of the library to take a quick walk, I stopped to chat with Daniel, who was also suffering through a day in the library. sidenote - just in case you're reading this in the year 2100 as an anthropological study of what we did in the year 2012, the library was a place students can pretend to be productive while surfing this thing called the internet. It was surprisingly counterproductive for the world.

I can only assume Daniel knew what would happen when he told me about the new free coffee machine in the student lounge.. because two minutes later we were standing in front of the free coffee machine, drinking free coffee.  Two of our other friends that frequently inhabit the study lounge were taking advantage of the free coffee too, so we did what you do in the library, and stopped to chat. 

4 of us med students were intelligently discussing the possibilites cancer treatment held for the future. It felt right, the 4 of us, the future of medicine. At a pause in the conversation one person asked, "This is probably a stupid question, but how do people die of cancer?"

We stood dumbfounded for a couple seconds, then made up a few theories that were probably quarter-baked at best. And of course, this raised the bigger more obvious question - How do normal people die? 

First of all, what? We're med students, yet we don't know how people die? I don't know, correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems important. Maybe they save the good stuff for later.

See you on the other side,

from ken


taking requests for future blog posts. please comment or email.

2 comments:

  1. You might be interested in this, a stretch but kind of related http://www.radiolab.org/blogs/radiolab-blog/2013/jan/15/bitter-end/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting article, thanks! I've definitely seen this recently, but I can't remember where. I feel like the study would be more legitimate if it surveyed doctors near the end of their life, just diagnosed with a serious illness, etc. I'm sure doctors are biased against procedures like CPR because they see the havoc it causes.

      Delete