Virtual Coffee Date with Sean Nguyen: midseason NBA notes from two league pass watchers

Sean Nguyen
Sean is my fellow M1 from MUSC - we're the only Asian guys in our class, so naturally we had to be friends.

Ken: So we'll start with an easy one: who are your eastern/western conference finals teams?

Sean: As of today, I would say the thunder vs spurs and Heat vs Knicks.

I am hesitant about the clippers, the lack of free throw shooting from their bigs will hurt them down the line as you have seen in the last couple games.  So I'm kind of half and half between spurs and clippers.  "fundamentals" vs "flashy".  But make note of the nuggets, ty lawson, iggy, manimal and company could have a run.

The east seems more predictable. the knicks and the heat are the most dominant and will remain that way through the playoffs.

I am sad to say that I do not think anyone can dethrone the heat without an unpredictable run like the mavs in 2010-2011 during the playoffs.  Lebron is playing at his best and is almost averaging a triple double every game.  The team chemistry is high with the trust they have amongst each other. (Ray allen taking the go ahead basket or even shane battier).  I'd still bet biasly on my thunder though.

Ken: Yeah, the xmas Heat-Thunder game was really telling.  The Thunder just didn't quite have the composure of the Heat.  

Sean: Westbrook looked out of control Xmas day so until that's fixed... Rings will be on hold. Although, he has developed well over the post season.

Ken: sidenote - favorite dunk?

Sean: My personal favorite is harrison barnes over pekovic but as of last night, I think JR smith's reverse alley hoop had me stunned.


Ken: So what about the Celtics, are they hopeless?

Sean:  One name. Avery Bradley. I think he will spark the teams defense again given his perimeter d. He is playing second game tonight after rehabbing double shoulder surgery. The team is quite new so I'm expecting a couple more streaks to get them in the playoffs. 

Ken: Bradley helps, but they need a big man. Wilcox/Bass/Sully aren't getting it done. Where do you stand on Rondo?  I just don't see him as a bonafied franchise player.  He can get to the hoop at will, but if he's not willing to get fouled, it's hopeless.  

Sean: I think Big sully will get into his game.  He is still young but he can bump and grind in the paint.  He is just missing some experience.  Rondo is impressive (on my fantasy team), but I agree he is not a franchise "Star" player.  I think he is an exceptional player like westbrook but i don't think he is a cp3, drose type of player.  He needs a scorer but I do not think his attitude and composure will allow another star to fit that role.  

Ken: Yeah some days I wish they would deal him, but ultimately I love him for being this guy: 


So I guess I'm willing to play it out a few more weeks.  

Sean: Teams are starting to peak. I'd give it another two weeks before determining who is hot and has a playoff run.  The lakers actually looked good vs the clippers yesterday.  Dwight and kobe playing exceptional with nash giving good dimes.  (although pau was garbage) Their intensity looked great but it was a rivalry game.

Ken: Yeah, the next couple weeks will be telling.  Anyways, we'll end here.

See you on the other side,

from sean and ken

taking requests for future blog posts. please comment or email.

No comments:

Post a Comment