New Year's Resolutions



My New Year's Resolutions:

1) Study less, blog more. The more I think about med school and my career goals, the less I feel like investing my precious time trying to do well on med school written exams is worth it.  

2) 10,000 total push ups.  I usually don't have that much trouble going to the gym since it helps keeps me sane, but I don't really like doing push ups.  10k is 60 every other day, which seems doable. sidenote - my least favorite part of New Year's Resolutions is the crowd of people at the gym. If I worked at a gym, I would find someway to take advantage of the January influx.  

3) Make the year awesome for my wife. A big part of marriage is deciding your own happiness is not about your own stats or paycheck, but rather the good of the whole. I want to help Katie thrive in Charleston this year.  

--

My friend from Wyoming, Corey Schneider had the best Resolution I've seen, so I'll just wrap up with it:

"This year is going to be different. I am going to starting eating better, exercising more. I will cut down on drinking. I'll smoke my last cigarette. I'll lose 10 pounds. I'll stop watching television, and spend less time on the computer.

Corey and I climbing mountains,
working on our squinting
I will be more positive, more humble. Become a better friend and a better boyfriend. I'll stay in better contact with my family members. I will make new friends, and reconnect with old ones. I will stop giving my time and energy towards people in my life who do not do the same.

I will work a job that I do not hate. I will worry less about money, and and even less about material possessions. I will stop supporting large corporations and chains, and start supporting local and family owned businesses. I will volunteer my time to organizations that deserve it.

I will skateboard more, and go camping more. I will shoot more photographs, and make another short film. I'll see more local bands, and listen to more new music. I'll devote all my free time towards creative endeavors. I will embark on the trip of a lifetime, and finally see Europe. I will take a 3 day camping trip on a motorcycle, with or without you.

I will sleep less, and live more. 

And I will stop using facebook."

--

I love it, except for the facebook part.  I plan to dominate the internet this year.

See you on the other side,

from ken

taking requests for future blog posts. please comment or email.

3 comments:

  1. Definitely some awesome resolutions from both of you. Figured I'd take the time to write out my resolutions and use sidenote as a springboard for doing so.

    1) Stop being a hater. Making a more concerted effort to not judge people or hate on situations that make me uncomfortable. Hating only breeds negativity in my head and around me.

    2) Stop saying and start doing. I gotta stop building castles in my mind and start building castles in my life. Part of that is reconciling with myself that castles aren't build in a day, but take actual time and effort.

    3) Make the year awesome for my girlfriend and my dog. As you said, its all about the whole.

    4) Read and comment on sidenote. Gotta read some awesomeness and contribute to the discussion too.

    5) Do 10,001 pushups. Rekindle the competitive spirit.

    P.S. Blog request, mid-year review of how your resolutions are going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice - really love those resolutions. #1 and #2 are constantly ongoing in my life, but so important.

    #5 - you're on. I'm at 255 right now.

    And naturally, I love your ideas and the books you read so I'm definitely looking forward to #4.

    from ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta some distance to make up... 255 to 25

    ReplyDelete