Everyday I'm Shufflin #6 - anatomy practical day running diary

#6

3/12/13 Tuesday
5383, wow

6:00 AM: Alarm goes off. 


6:02 AM: 5 push ups. 


6:35 AM: Depart for MUSC.

6:52 AM: Arrive at gym. Elliptical while listening to "This American Life." They are playing Dr. Dre's "Still D.R.E." in the background while talking about prohibiting lap dancing in Tampa. The topic was Rosa Parks. I bet Ira Glass has a good life. Fun facts about Ira - is a staunch atheist and his college major was semiotics

7:51 AM: Arrive at library. Check fantasy basketball team - "Linsane in the Membrane." Realize I forgot to set my lineups. Test week. [shakes head]

8:05 AM: Start Anki flash cards. 

8:27 AM: This flash card comes up: When is the villous stage? 

What the f..? I hate placenta. 

9:02 AM: Finish flash cards. Post on blog. 

9:30 AM: Reread placenta lectures. Still doesn't make sense. 8 months into med school and I still don't understand amnion and yolk sac folding. 

10:40 AM: Where is BPH? The middle or the transition zone? Oh, it's the same. Different lectures just call it different things. Thanks.

10:47 AM: Need break.. First lunch. Overhear conversations about anatomy practical. I keep hearing things I don't know. Could be a bad sign. Not sure yet.

12:19 PM: Library push ups. Too many people that the regular 4th floor overlook spot is overflowing. Expand to floor 3.5. Epic. Only during test week. 

12:30 PM: Pre-practical coffee break. 

Keith: What's your TPP? (tough pin predictions)

My pick was puboprostatic ligament. 

Someone had the half-baked idea to ask every person their TPP so we could have a comprehensive list of every possible hard pin. It made perfect sense at the time, except the time might be better spent scanning through the anatomy class notes. Everything that could be pinned is in there.. right?

1:00 PM: Practical begins. I hope ganglion impars is pinned. 


tunica albuginea
1:07 PM: Pretty sure that's a vagina, but it could definitely be a rectum.

1:45 PM: Leaving the practical. Took the stairs for the first time. 6 floors is long. Following the guy in front of me in a daze. What just happened? All I remember is a lot of obturating. 

1:48 PM: Back in the locker room. Everyone complaining about this and that pin. ..I really don't want to hear about the ten questions I just missed. Can't we just forget about it and move on? Is this what happens in the girls locker room?

2:15 PM: I hate studying after the practical. Instead, with Sudeep - en route to Bojangles.

2:21 PM: mmm. Fried chicken biscuit. 

2:58 PM: Now at Walmart. Looking at Easter Candy selection. mmm. Jolly Rancher jelly beans. 

3:28 PM: Heading back to campus, but it's not 4:30 yet so we can't park in the close lot. Still need to kill time. Guess we should go for a romantic walk at Colonial Lake.

3:30 - 4:30 PM: Did about 5 or 6 laps around Colonial Lake, breaking down life with Sudeep. If I was a girl I would definitely date Sudeep.

5:07 PM: Finally back at the library. I feel guilty, like I need to do some studying. It is test week. 

5:09 PM: Sitting around with four pissed off students complaining about the practical. I should really study.. Fighting urge to study for honors. Although.. if we're going to sit around and do nothing, we might as well drink beer. 

5:23 PM: Sitting around with four pissed off students complaining about the practical. While drinking beers at Fuel. Great post-practical tradition. I mean, you aren't getting anything done after the practical anyways. 

6:45 PM: Back at home. Hanging out with wife friend. Loving UG block - taking procrastinating to the max. 

See you on the other side,

from ken


enjoy sidenote in 140 characters or less @kensidenotelife.

6 comments:

  1. This was wonderfully entertaining. Even though I couldn't understand some of the language you were speaking. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what was the tough pin in the end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one everyone was talking about was sacral plexus vs sciatic nerve. In the end both answers got credit.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy your writing style. You write so freely and without worry or regard for what others thing. I admire this. Wish I could do it. So it sounds like you guys take two semesters of anatomy at MUSC. What is the teaching style in your anatomy lab? Is it pretty much self-taught with assistance from TAs at dissection? Or do you get more formal instruction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty much self-taught. We have three students to a cadaver, and about one professor per six tables, with no TAs. I believe for PAs it is a summer of anatomy with med students that TA the classes.

      Delete