The Next Episode

spring break
doing work
I spent spring break meditating over the next level of sidenote. I've always wanted to focus on giving the people what they want, so I thought about what people tell me they like about the blog. sidenote - lots of readers have talked to me about sidenote, and I just want to thank you for reading. It really means a lot. If you are reading behind the scenes, please talk to me! I know I'm quiet and awkward but I promise I don't bite, I'm just an introvert. Talk to me in person, tweet me, comment on the blog, facebook message me. Don't call me though. I don't like talking on the phone. 

Anyways, the main idea that came from my meditations: the world needs more interesting conversation. I've had a chance to interview some classmates, and I keep hearing 2 comments.

1) Our classmates are interesting.
2) I love talking about life things.

I believe sidenote has been popular for a reason far greater than my overrated writing skills. sidenote reaches an unmet need - the need for talking about life things. Our lives are littered with surface level interactions, and it's boring. Deep conversations are how we get to know our interesting classmates. My goal is to enhance deep conversations by increasing sidenote's interaction with readers. 

So to increase reader interaction I came up with a new post schedule:

Monday: So you think you know. Interview with one of our classmates. If you want someone to be interviewed - let me know.  

Tuesday: Half-baked idea. Any random idea I have/overhear regarding med school. Please send your ideas my way. 

Wednesday: Over/under. I'll put up a new over/under poll every Wednesday for readers to vote on, and I'll ask a reader to submit commentary on the over/under which will get posted on the next Wednesday. If you'd like to provide some commentary, let me know! 

Thursday: Grab bag. Random day - will vary from 'everyday I'm shufflin' to 'ken explains the hidden curriculum' to me complaining about neuro block. 

Friday: An article about medicine. I consume lots of medicine-related media. TED talks, NYT articles, Atul Gawande commencement speeches. I'll post my favorite one every week and try to get some conversation going. It's like when people post articles on facebook, except it will only happen once a week so I won't spam your newsfeed. Please send any interesting articles my way. 

As always, 9 AM. Tell your friends. 

see you on the other side,

from ken

enjoy sidenote in 140 characters or less @kensidenotelife.

No comments:

Post a Comment