Well, we'll try again tomorrow

“Courage does not always roar, sometimes, courage is the quiet voice at the end of the night whispering, I will try again tomorrow.”

I saw this quote on a card while I was standing in line at Powell’s, a bookstore. Since then, it has really been reassuring to me, and it’s definitely helped me keep my head up.

I agree with the quote. Courage is not always about that warrior mentality of tackling problems head on. It’s easy for me to beat myself up for making mistakes and get stuck dwelling too much in the past. I think though, it really takes courage to forgive yourself for a mistake, while maintaining the resolve to try to fix it tomorrow. That commitment to try to fix it tomorrow has been the most helpful part of this quote for me.

Throwing myself into as much as possible here in Portland, and trying to infuse my days with as much life as possible has come with lots of failures. I think the most common mistake I make is when I felt like I should have reached out to someone to try and create a relationship, but I didn’t. I’m quiet and shy, so building relationships is a constant exciting challenge. Per day, there are countless missed opportunities when I should’ve made conversation but didn’t. But I’ve been trying to tell myself, I will try again tomorrow.

When that next opportunity comes up for me to connect with someone, I am instantly reminded that I resolved to try again tomorrow, and tomorrow is in front of me! That reminder has been a powerful way to make myself reach out more, and just to try.

from ken

Are you trying to change your life? I'd love to hear about it! ken.e.noguchi@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment