Sherman Alexie

“There is another world, but it is in this one.”
- W. B. Yeats


A fitting quote for a journey of change. More importantly, this quote is the beginning to an awesome book I just read called, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. It was one of those books that reminded how much I love reading. It’s a novel/autobiography about a boy, Junior, who grows up on the reservation (the Rez), but leaves to go to a white high school. The story goes on about his challenges ranging from trying out for the basketball team, mourning deaths in his family, to chasing a pretty white girl. For me, the most powerful part of the story is the relationship between Junior and Rowdy, his ex-best friend from the Rez. Rowdy intensely resents Junior for leaving behind his Indian community. One of the things I think a lot about is what real love is, and their relationship really reminds me of what it might look like. If you’re looking for a quick summer read, it’s probably one of the best books I’ve ever read.


from ken


Are you trying to change your life? Tell me about it! ken.e.noguchi@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment