Who is humanity?

I’m really into TED talks, which are 15-20 min presentations by people with great ideas ranging from education innovation to data presentation. I recently watched a good one by Simon Sinek. His talk was about what qualities make great leaders unique, and he focused on the three levels of doing. The first level is what we do, which most everyone knows. The second level is how we do it, which less people know. The third level is why we do it, which very few people know. Most people can only describe what they do, but the great leaders attract others by knowing why they live, and let their actions follow suit.

He used Apple as an example:

Why - Apple believes in challenging the status quo and making innovative products to make your life better.

How - they do this by creating products with a better and sleeker design.

What - they make computers, mp3 players, and phones, want to buy one?

I’m currently typing this on an Apple computer so I figure this guy must have something right, and I decided I wanted to create an abstract but simple dream for why I live.

My dream, both for myself and the world, is for our understanding of humanity to expand. I am hoping to learn that humanity is not just about myself, my circle of family and friends, my social class, or my country, but it is about every single human being.

How am I going to do this? By establishing a sense of solidarity with people who are different from me. What am I going to do? Well, I’m not exactly sure, but I’m hoping to hit on some good sidenotes.

Speaking of sidenotes, earlier today I was reading Street Roots, a newspaper sold by the homeless as a way to provide them with a job, and I was thinking about how fun it would be to write for them. At the end of the paper was a rallying cry to recruit more columnists. So I applied! We’ll see if that sidenote pans out..

from ken

Are you trying to change your life? I'd love to hear about it! ken.e.noguchi@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment