Big Papi

Well, since yesterday I wrote about one of my life rules, “Trial by Fire.” I guess I’ll continue on and try to work through some of my other life rules.

One of my other rules is, “Go big or go home.” Hearing this reminds me of Red Sox icon David Ortiz, back when he was an absolute monster. I think for a couple years he was probably the most loved professional athlete. EVERYBODY in Boston was obsessed with Big Papi. But anyways, I think this rule really is about being bold. In the bottom of the ninth, when the game is on the line, inevitably Ortiz would come up to bat. Often, he would be the hero with a walk-off home run. And if he didn’t, he would at least go down swinging, which was admirable, because don’t you hate it when a game ends with a called strikeout?

I always wish I could be bold like that. I once heard a quote, "There is no love, only acts of love." So I figured, there are bold people, only bold acts. So maybe if I did bold things I would eventually become bold, or I would be someone who committed bold acts, or something.

This is why I came to Portland. After spending four years at Kenyon, I became way too comfortable in my life and routine. I had my running, classes, and research. Which were great. But it was stressful for me to try to do different things because I couldn’t let any of those three things go. Whenever I tried to pick up something new I felt like I had to add it to my pile and I got overwhelmed. I felt like if I wanted to try new things, I had to completely branch off and take a big risk.

On a sidenote, my favorite part of my life is friends (the first sidenote!). Today, I finally got my own desk at work, and I pinned up about 30 pictures of my friends. My apartment is similarly decorated. I love it. It was, and continues to be scary for me to leave all my friends, from Boston, from Kenyon, to move out to Portland.

Still, I knew if I wanted to retool my routine I had to completely change my environment. So I’m still glad I came out here, and it’s definitely allowing me to branch out, try new things, and meet new people.

Also, did you know sidenote isn’t a word?

from ken

How are you retooling your life? I’d love to hear about it. ken.e.noguchi@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment