Over/Under Wednesdays - what counts as a date?

Last week's over under was about deep conversations. Specifically, it was about whether you have: 

a) too many 

b) just enough
c) not enough

Convincingly, the results spoke for themselves.




And here's some commentary from Abby Washispak and Natalie Vajta:


AWWhen I first read this over/under I immediately thought that I’d like to have more deep conversations. I can’t remember the last time I even had such a conversation, one that didn’t revolve around school material or everyday necessities, like where we should sit during lunch. Which either means I really haven’t had a deep conversation in a long time or I’ve replaced that memory with something more immediate and pressing (i.e. school).
I enjoy deep conversation. I enjoy it far more than talking about school work, that just makes me nervous most of the time, and way more than small talk, because after about the third surface level question I just seem to run out of things to say. Deep conversation reminds me that there is way more going on in the world than the lectures I need to review. It reminds me that the people I see on a daily basis are really cool people, with crazy stories to tell, interesting views on life, and problems just as big, if not bigger than mine.
I guess the reason I don’t have more deep conversations, and I bet this is true for many others, is I simply don’t make time for them. Time is a precious commodity, especially for med students. If I had an extra hour in my day, sure I’d rather have a great conversation with someone, but let’s be honest, I’d probably use it to cram another anatomy lecture in my brain. I guess when it comes down to it I see the present situation as more important than talking about deep things.
But I wonder what would happen if we intentionally made time for deep conversations. Maybe we’d see the people around us as more than just familiar faces, lab partners, or patients. Maybe we’d think more deeply or for the first time about the meaning of our lives outside of our future careers. Or maybe we’d simply be reminded for a few moments that there is more going on in the world than school (and who couldn’t use more of that).

NV: Summer is so close we can hear the ocean calling our name. Wait, so if we have already made it through around 8 months of school together, is it too late to get to know each other? Are we destined to only talk about current events in our small med school bubble with each other?
I love getting to meet new people and even more than that, I love getting to genuinely know people- find out what makes them tick, what has made them who they are today and where they are headed. Towards the end of last semester I decided I was tired of just talking about school with my fellow classmates. So I tried to make an effort to talk about more than just school with people. Now school talk is an easy go-to conversation, in fact a lot of the times it just catches you out of nowhere and even if you didn’t consciously decide to talk about school, it creeps in to your conversation. But what is there to talk about outside of school?
Our first month or so of school, conversations were more focused on the standard “synopsis of your life” questions- where are you from? Where’d you go to school- oh do you know (list off people and find out you are connected to everyone by one or two degrees). When did you graduate? What did you do before medical school? Then a little more in depth may consist of- do you have any siblings? What does your significant other do? How did you two meet? Then, done. You officially know all there is to know. Well those are necessary questions but there are over 170 people in our class and all those facts start to get jumbled up.
But now here we are, summer on the horizon and yet how well do we really know our fellow classmates? Now I could continue to ramble about our class (its dynamics, everyone’s innate want to serve others and how awesome I think that is, how wonderful I think everyone is, etc) but let me save that for another time- to the actual Over Under of the week- do you have over or under a good amount of deep conversations? I think most everyone would say they don’t have that many deep conversations a week (honestly who has the time, right?) but I think in general, people are in need of more.
I believe we weren’t made to do life or medical school alone. I know it is possible to do both alone and that is some people’s paths and preference, however there are so many great things that come from having a deep conversation with a classmate. I (selfishly) use chances to have deep conversations with classmates as a break from studying, a chance to ask probing questions to get to know people better, and to check in on people and see how they are doing. Medical school is hard and tiring and incredible all at the same time- we have to focus so much on school and so little on ourselves. Conversation breaks and checking up on each other are great opportunities to get some perspective- the people that best understand what you are going through are your classmates. In those moments of feeling overwhelmed, realizing we aren’t doing this alone and we are doing this for a purpose, can bring great relief and peace. Our class is full of people that are going to make a difference in this world and are definitely worth taking study breaks to get to know, discuss how the world works and learn something non-school related. Each person has so much to bring to the table and there are some great, exciting conversations just waiting to be had.

Apologies for the rambling but thanks for reading and thanks to Ken for letting me guest blog. I’m not quiet sure if I actually even said anything or got a point across but come find me in the library and I am always down for a chat, just make it deep haha.


Thanks Abby and Natalie! Hope this leads to more deep conversations. 

--


Now for this week I have a poll instead:


How do you define a date?


This came out of multiple debates. For instance, my dissection partner and I were dissecting the other day by ourselves - having deep conversations about the meaning of life and whatnot, sharing our values and struggles. And I had to wonder.. here we were - two people, by ourselves, at a planned event (anatomy lab), getting into deep conversation. Was it romantic? I mean, we were standing pretty close to each other. Were we on a date?


Anyways, here are the options that I took from real life conversations:


a) Must be planned

b) Whenever two people are together
c) Must be romantic
d) Must be exclusive
e) Other, write-in

see you on the other side,


from ken


Want to provide commentary? Let me know.

4 comments:

  1. Great stuff Abby and Natalie - it's really weird that individually we all prioritize deep conversations but as a group our priorities change. I just got back from a med school revisit weekend and it was a microcosm of this predicament. About 2 hours in everyone was sick of the "Where are you from? What school did you go to? Are you definitely coming to this school?" questions. At that point I wish I had just skipped the small talk and began asking people real questions. I wish I had just met a stranger and said something like: "Tell me 3 interesting facts about your life." That would have been a way more enjoyable conversation for both of us and could lead to some real talk. Shout out to Danna Nieto for introducing me to that line - it definitely led to some good conversations between us.

    Here's to hopefully having the balls to do that next time I meet an interesting new person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we just need to be more bold about having those conversations and not worrying about the consequences as much. I feel like this comes back to a general sense of insecurity in our generation.

      Delete
  2. Definitely an awesome question and some nice responses. To me the answer to the question is of course that I could use more deep conversations, who couldn't? What is a deep conversation anyways? To me it is a question that resonates to the deeper core of the yourself, one that doesn't just bounce off your outer shell. Small talk always frustrates me, it always the same feeling tone about it its kind of just like brain/mouth reflexes in response to outside situations. I wouldn't always classify questions of politics and morality questions as deep questions, because to often people put up defenses and hold these as personal creeds that shouldn't be questioned and more so can't be budged. I feel deep questions are the ones that show the inner light of a person, that makes their individuality shine threw. You know when you are talking with someone and you hit on something that just takes the conversation to the new level and the person gets all giddy and excited? Thats when the mark is hit.

    I have been trying to come up with some technique on how to hot route past the small talk level and get to that level where you uncover the true personality of the person you are talking to. Imagine how much you can learn about people as individuals? Forget the weather, forget the gossip, forget names even, gimmie the good stuff! I like Amulya's question, "Tell me 3 interesting facts about your life?" or the question you asked in an interview "Name three people from any point in history that you could have dinner with?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom

      Thanks as always for a great response. You ask a good question. What is a deep conversation? I need to think about that. What you said about getting to a person's inner core is a crucial part.

      Delete