NBA Wednesdays. All Star rosters with Sean and Sean + Gimme some raptor news

Sean Nguyen
Sean Edelman
Virtual coffee date with Sean Nguyen my friend from MUSC, and Sean Edelman my friend from Kenyon. Two Seans + NBA All Star game rosters + Rudy Gay trade = great NBA Wednesday.

Ken: So let's start with the all star rosters: 



East: Rondo, Wade, LeBron, Melo, KG, Jrue, Kyrie, Bosh, Chandler, Joakim, Paul George, Luol

West: CP3, Kobe, KD, Blake, D12, Parker, Westbrook, Duncan, Zbo, LaMarcus, Harden, David Lee

Nguyen: The votes are pretty accurate in terms of representing the all-stars in our league. I would have to disapprove with not having Steph Curry on the reserve.. I know they do it by position now but he has been playing exceptional and he deserved a spot. 

KenBetween Blake, Duncan, Zbo, LMA, Lee you already have 5 big guys. I'd take Steph Curry over D12. You could also talk me into Serge or Marc Gasol, especially when you consider how fun it would be to watch Serge in a glorified exhibition game. Also, Denver is playing .600 ball don't they deserve an all star?

NguyenDenver is a balanced team.. no one all star.. even their star Iguodala is playing average...(on my fantasy team).. 

Blake Griffin aint bout dis life
I agree with you. I'd love to see Ibaka but for an all star game Blake Griffin at the PF is more exciting to watch. Also I agree on the notion of too many big men. I'd trade one of them for steph curry any day. But I think Steph Curry's injuries over the year have clouded the fans/media memory of him. 

D12 is the modern day embodiment of the all star game. I can still remember his superman get up for the dunk contest. I think he is a celebrity icon that has the personality to entertain the people. If the all star weekend was all talent, then we would have lebron james in the dunk contest...but sadly we do not.    

On a sidenote, I hope kevin durant can finally win the 3 point shooting contest.. he's been in it for 2 years now barely losing to k-love last year. 

Edelman: I think the issue with Denver is how rounded out their offensive attack is. They don't have any clear superstar leader with 6 players averaging 10 or more pts per game. I would argue Faried might be the best candidate off that team to be an all-star since he's averaging 12 pts and 9.8 boards per game, but he's a second year player with little name recognition. Ty Lawson could be another possible all-star but the west is just way too deep at PG to give him a consideration.

face of Brooklyn
So Brook Lopez is Rondo's replacement. Thoughts? 

I think his offensive numbers definitely deserve the nod, but it bothers me that he is 7 feet tall and yet is awful at rebounding and defense. 

Nguyen: Brook Lopez who has been doing work should've had a spot over kg.... Paul Pierce has had a semi decent year and with his team struggling I think the star scorer gets the blame so I can see how he is overlooked.

EdelmanI would've liked to see JR fill the Rondo spot, but that's my biased Knick fan opinion and JR has pretty much shot himself out of contention with his awful month of January. 

What do you guys think about Monte or Brandon Jennings as the replacement? Milwaukee is above .500 and while both are very one sided players, isn't that the nature of the all-star game?

KenI'd be wary of Monta Ellis, considering how much they've improved since he left.  sidenote - Rudy Gay trade just broke: 




The Raps finally replaced Vince Carter's spot with Rudy Gay, a career 18 ppg/ 6 rpg guy that outstayed his time in Memphis. If I'm a Raps fans, I'm pumped. Is this team headed to the NBA finals? Of course not, and who cares? 




Toronto, welcome to the era of
7 seconds or less
Kevin Durant and LeBron James are by far the two best players in basketball right now. The two of them will be trading titles for the next 5 yrs. 

At least this trade makes the Raps exciting. Gay-DeRozan-Ross-Lowry-Bargnani. Wow, non-stop offense.


Nguyen: The Rudy Gay trade is good for basketball in Toronto. It makes for some interesting dynamics, especially for a run and gun team. 


I do not know how I feel about Memphis' ability to contend now. I know Tayshaun and Ed Davis are perfect for the system but I am still hesitant that they changed their dynamics too much. I do agree that Rudy Gay was a ball stopper in Memphis and that killed their flow. I do not think Toronto will be any different without a change in defense. You're surely not going to get it out of DeRozan and Gay.  To me, I feel like this a very similar team to the Nuggets and to some extent Golden State. 


EdelmanI love the deal for Memphis. Gay is one of the most overrated players in the league. Yes he does score a lot of points and can be an offensive force, but he's like melo on a bad day, incredibly inefficient and stops the flow of the offense. Tayshaun Prince is an obvious upgrade defensively for them, but in my opinion he's also a better offensive player for their system. 


all in
The strength of the Grizzlies offense lies down low with Zbo and Gasol and they benefit from having players on the wings who can hit 3-point shots when the defense collapses inwards. Prince is an complete upgrade in that regard as he's a career .370 3-point shooter who's shooting an absurd .434 this season. Gay, on the other hand, is a career .344 3-point shooter who's only shooting .310 from behind the arc this season. Add in the addition of Ed Davis, who's still a big question mark with plenty of upside, and the Grizz look like winners on this one.

I agree with Ken that the Raptors have now become a really fun to watch team. All offense and no defense, reminds me of Amare's first season with the Knicks. That being said, I think Toronto isn't done making trades yet this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to move Barg to a playoff-contending team in need of an extra wing scorer.

Ken: Ok that's all for this week -

See you on the other side,

from ken


taking requests for future blog posts. please comment or email.

No comments:

Post a Comment