Relationships in med school pt 8: I got 99 problems - bachelor pad weekend running diary

best friend goes to DC for the weekend
My goal when I came up with this idea was to write a "Relationships in med school" post about being a bachelor for a weekend, but it morphed into a "Everyday I'm Shufflin" post because all I did was study. Anyways, enjoy. 

Begin running diary:

--

2/7/13 THU

9:30 AM: Drop Katie off at Charleston Amtrak, pretty sure there were like six passengers. How is Amtrak still in business?

9:54 AM: Arrive back at home. ..What should I do?

step 1 - walk around shirtless
10:00 AM: Eating ramen. Breakfast of champions.

10:13 AM: Still hungry. Combine all ingredients in fridge to make giant mess including pasta. Set with leftovers for the weekend.

11:00 AM: Drinking green tea. Listening to Soltis at 2.5x speed. So efficient. Loving life.

11:55 AM: Waiting for electrician so I can go get coffee, almost reaching afternoon coffee time. Has to be between 12:00 and 2:45, any later and chaos will insue. I've considered carrying around caffeine pills to self-medicate. I should never smoke cigarettes.. I would be a 2 packs a day level smoker within a week.

12:35 PM: Starting to hit wall, still waiting for electrician. 

12:37 PM: Need caffeine. Hating life.

12:38 PM: Start looking for apartments. Our lease is up in August, so I should probably start looking. Living downtown would be so convenient...

1:10 PM: Electrician arrives. I hate taking care of stuff like this. I wish Katie was here. 

1:17 PM: Pretty sure that guy was trained in OLDCARTS. This succession of questions just happened: 

So what's the problem today? 

...right?
And how long has this been happening? 

Have you noticed it being associated with anything else? 

Anything else I can do for you today?

I feel a half-baked idea coming..

2:05 PM: Off to Muddy Waters to grab coffee and get a change of scenery. It's nice to have a car. So much freedom. 

3:21 PM: This text exchange just happened:

Katie - Been hit on three times in the last five minutes. ;)

Ken - 5 girls liked my most recent blog post.

What I should have said: Just hit on three girls in the last five minutes. 

I wish I was this funny in real time.

5:00 PM: Arrive at library, waste time saying hi to everyone in my immediate radius. 

Ken: Hey what's up?
Friend: Not much just been here studying, you?
Ken: Same, just studied at home.

Repeat conversation five times.

8:15 PM: Watch NBA, Celts crush now defunct Lakers. Steve Nash thinking, "I bet I could make it work with Tyson Chandler and Melo.."

8:23 PM: Katie arrives in DC, still alive. Good to know.

8:24 PM: Attention back to basketball.

11:00 PM: sleep

--

2/8/13 FRI

5:35 AM: Alarm beeping. Wake up confused. Where's wife best friend? What are these stuffed animals doing here?

5:37 AM: I need to get up.

5:39 AM: Now I really need to get up.

6:05 AM: Depart MUSC. Too early..

10:26 AM: Watching recorded lectures. Unnamed professor suggests illegally obtaining marijuana. Strong work.

6:45 PM: MUSC MSTP recruiting dinner

7:20 PM: After beer and wine, the conversation is getting serious. Just asked these 3 questions - 

What's the purpose of religion?

Do you think a devout Muslim, a faithful Christian, and a staunch Atheists are different or similar?

What's your religious background?

Welcome to MUSC, where shit gets real.

8:37 PM: Dinner ends, to Folly! sidenote - This needs to evolve into a half-baked idea but I've always thought the water is the biggest draw of Charleston. (not the drinking water) MUSC is bringing in recruits from places like Michigan and New York in the middle of January when it's absolutely miserable. Why take them on a tour of downtown, when you could take them to the beach? I feel like the acceptance rate would sky rocket. Who says no to spending the bulk of their 20's living fifteen minutes from the beach?

9:15 PM: Night walk at Folly. Ken loving it way more than applicants.

10:30 pm: Arrive home. Had a fun night, want to tell wife friend about it but she's not here. :( Instead, read twitter.

--

2/9/13 SAT

6:15 AM: Alarm goes off, should get to library.

6:15 AM: Alarm promptly turned off, back to sleep.

8:45 AM: Roll out of bed. Loving waking up whenever I want.

10:30 AM: Arrive libs.


the coffee break
bringing med students together everywhere
3:07 PM: Making coffee with three friends. 

3:09 PM: Coffee made, guess we should probably go back and study now.

3:30 PM: After 20 minutes of complaining, we finally go back to study. I love the luxury of procrastinating. I feel time crunched a lot of the time because I have to be productive in the studying time I have. I imagine this would be one of the highlights of being single in med school, you have all the time in the world to talk shit with classmates. 

8:07 PM: Therapy session with male friend having women issues. Glad I'm married. If you having girl problems, I feel bad for you son.

10:07 PM: Some library pushups with Paul and Sudeep. My body is used to being asleep at 10:07 PM.

11:17 PM: Still at libs. Sitting in the Sudeep red chair corner. Late night studying, talking shit, just like the good old days. Shoutout to Jon Weil and Kaleb Keyserling, thanks for helping me survive late nights at Kenyon. Living the bachelor dream. 

12:34 AM: Depart library after setting a late night library PR. 

1:07 AM: Sleep.


--


2/10/13 SUN


9:25 AM: Phone buzzes, text from Katie: Pray I catch my train. It might be close. 


Ken to God: There's a 100% chance Katie makes this train, I'm locking it in, but just in case, can you make sure she makes it? Back to sleep.

9:33 AM: Phone buzzes, text from Katie: At my gate ready to go! Phew! 


Back to sleep. 

9:34 AM: Wait, should I go to church? Back to sleep.


10:45 AM: Finally get out of bed - make breakfast, wash the dishes, laundry, cook lunches. This must be one of the big downsides of being single in med school. So much time doing chores, although at least I got to catch up on a great BS podcast:



7:20 PM: Reunited:



See you on the other side,

from ken


taking requests for future blog posts. please comment or email.

2 comments:

  1. Running Diaries are my favorite posts. The day distilled to a few sentences. Somehow it makes even a Saturday at the library feel awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are you talking about? It was awesome.

      Delete