NBA Wednesdays: An Open Letter to Jeff Green






that ain't safe
Dear @unclejeffgreen,

Thank you for being you:

First of all, thank you for being a Celtic.

You are only 26 years old, yet two years ago you underwent major surgery to fix an Aortic Aneurysm. While recovering you went back to school at Georgetown, a top 25 university, to finish up your degree in English and theology. Thank you for repping education. I wish I could discuss philosophy with you. 

On the court, some nights I watch you and you're unstoppable. Channeling your inner LeBron James and driving hard to the basket. Spotting up for corner 3's like Ray Allen. Big enough to post up small forwards, and way too explosive for power forwards to slow down. Playing the kind of D that could slow down LeBron James. Thank you for being a fun player to watch. 


jeff green doing jeff green things
Some nights you aren't quite at the high expectations I peg you at. There's many a game I wish you could rebound more. There's other nights when I wonder where those ballsy drives to the basket went. But KG said it best, "He's so good that sometimes we just forget he just went through major heart surgery. That's what you forget." 

And it's true. I forget that all the time. When I really think about it, it's crazy that you're playing basketball at all, let alone at an NBA level. 

And since Rondo went down you've upped your game to another level. I watched you drop 31 on the Suns and loved every minute of it. 

You are such a baller that Kevin Durant once dedicated his season to you

A million times out of a million I would rather root for a scrappy team with bleed-green vets like KG and Pierce, than any team of collected superstars. I want the teams I root for to like playing with each other, to care about playing great basketball, and I'm glad the Celtics are that team. 

You are inked to the Celtics for the next 4 years, and I'm glad to have such an inspiring human being on my favorite basketball team. Please keep doing Jeff Green things.

See you on the other side,

from ken

taking requests for future blog posts. please comment or email.

2 comments:

  1. Though a rival in the Atlantic, I admire the Celtics heart at this time and not letting injuries and age dissuade a desire to win.

    Being a Sixers fan and watching a winter-long train wreck with players who do not offer each other support (laugh at each other when they get dunked on) and treat the game like mercenaries out for themselves, it's admirable.

    Difficulty may cost a game, a season, or a championship, but it's discouraging when it costs a team.

    -geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a sixers fan this year.. brutal. My heart goes out to you. At least you have Jrue Happy Holidays.

      Delete